Having access to a good handyman is the best way to get all those jobs around the house done that don’t warrant hiring a company. A handyman can take on a range of jobs big and small, but there are a few things they aren’t allowed to do…
If you’ve been delaying small but important home maintenance tasks because you don’t have the time or skills to DIY then it’s probably a good time to hire a handyman.
The jobs handymen can do vary and most are more than capable of completing small-medium construction projects from remodelling a room to repairing a damaged floor.
They can also work in gardens, paint a house and troubleshoot plumbing or electrical problems even if this means having to refer you to a professional electrician or plumber to fix a major problem. The list of jobs handymen can’t do is smaller than the list they can do.
Handymen are not allowed to do the following jobs unless they have the current legal licences and qualifications:
A Handyman can usually provide the following services:
- Painting: Many handymen are adept painters for jobs where a professional painter and decorator aren’t required
- Wall hangings: Hanging objects on the wall such as mirrors, paintings, and TV’s can be tricky if you don’t know what you’re doing. A handyman knows what tools are needed to make sure the object stays fixed to the wall safely.
- Cleaning: If your patio, pathway or driveway need cleaning, a handyman can use a pressure hose to remove grime, leaving it looking new again
- Gardening: A handyman can be useful for many small maintenance jobs in the garden where a professional gardener or lawnmower contractor isn’t required.
- Carpentry: If you’re needing a new door fitted or some new shelves put in, a handyman can do this along with any other small carpentry related jobs. A licenced builder may be required for larger buildings, but a handyman can erect sheds, cubby houses or other small structures.
- Kit and flatpack installation: A handyman has the skills and tools for installing kit/flat packed items such as furniture, carports and kitchen cabinets
Handymen usually charge by the hour, working as fast as they’re able. There maybe additional fees for emergency or after hours jobs so check first. Handymen are useful as they can perform a wide range of repair jobs all at once, which means you only have to call one person rather than several different tradespeople to deal with all the small problems that occur in your home.
Handymen often will pride themselves on coming up with innovative and inexpensive solutions to fix your homes problems, saving you time and money. Read more about what questions to ask when hiring a handyman.